The energy sector of the Republic of Serbia is still largely based on traditional energy sources, however development of renewable energy sources as a relatively new feature on our market is imposing itself as an inevitable aspect of development and future prosperity. This aspect is also important in the process of our country’s accession to EU, where the integration process has not yet been finalized, while there is still the need for harmonization of regulations with EU regulations.
The practice of our lawyers consists of simultaneous monitoring of regulations and its changes, advising during negotiations and concluding agreements related to energy investments, purchase and sale of electricity companies, investments in the development and research of energy sources, as well as financing various energy investments.
Having in mind it is a branch of industry which involves a significant investment, from initial assaying to exploitation, Serbia as a developing economy is not able to follow their own potential resources, due to which there are wide possibilities for foreign investment and in the sense it is necessary to have great knowledge of domestic legislation and market potential. The field of environmental protection, which will define the possibilities and manner of operating business in the energy sector in the future, is increasingly emerging as an extremely important aspect of operating activities in this area of business.
Areas of work:
- advising in the process of obtaining licenses, permits and meeting the conditions for performing energy activities;
- preparation of legal Due Diligence report regarding the business operations of the energy entity;
- legal counselling on renewable energy projects (wind farms) and complete market and location analysis, the possibility of obtaining permits, setting up facilities and wind generators, cooperation with local governments;
- legal support in procedures of establishing public-private partnerships and concession agreements;
- representation of clients before the Energy Agency of the Republic of Serbia and the competent Ministry department;
- preparation of all types of contracts and legal opinions and legal counseling and guiding clients through a network of industry-specific legislation and other regulations.